Suggestion; "WITH VACUUM" option

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Suggestion; "WITH VACUUM" option
Date: 2002-12-16 22:00:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom, Folks:

Joe and I were discussing your recent discussion about the costs of VACUUM and
tuple maintainence, and I had an interesting idea.

How hard would it be to add a "WITH (VACUUM)" option to UPDATE and DELETE
queries? This option would cause the regular vacuum activity -- purging the
dead tuple and its index references -- to be done immediately, as part of the
statement, instead of being deferred.

I agree that we don't want immediate tuple maintainence, most of the time.
However, a couple of my clients would really like to have a few queries do
their vacuum immediately, and are currently getting around that by vacuuming
every 5 mintutes.

Easy? Hard? Insane? What do you think?

--
-Josh Berkus