Re: python bug

From: Gerhard Haering <haering_postgresql(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, darcy(at)druid(dot)net
Subject: Re: python bug
Date: 2002-12-16 02:51:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

* Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> [2002-12-14 20:50 -0500]:
> I saw this in the python source setup.py:
>
> include_dirs=['/usr/include/pgsql']
> library_dirs=['usr/lib/pgsql']
> ^^^
> optional_libs=['pq']
> data_files = []
>
> Is the lack of a leading slash correct?

No.

It should really be

library_dirs=['/usr/lib/pgsql']

*But* is this really the default place where PostgreSQL installs its
libraries? I thought this was rather /usr/local/lib?

If anybody wants to improve the setup.py part of PyGreSQL, I'd recommend
you take a look at the setup.py file for our altnernative PostgreSQL/Python
adapter:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pypgsql/pypgsql/setup.py?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

We recently put considerable effort in to make pyPgSQL build out of the box
on many platforms (Debian, SuSE, Redhat Linux, FreeBSD, OpenUnix, Windows,
MacOS X, Cygwin plus untested support for a few other platforms).

And of course pyPgSQL is licensed under a liberal BSD-like license as well
:-)

Btw. another question. I noticed that a few interfaces (Perl comes to mind)
have been moved out of the PostgreSQL tree to gborg. Maybe it'd be a good
idea to do that for PyGreSQL as well?

-- Gerhard