select for update problem (maybe mine)

From: Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: select for update problem (maybe mine)
Date: 2002-12-13 14:52:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Is this a bug or is this how it is supposed to work?

postgresql 7.3 (release)
mac osx 10.2.2

select for update

I have two terminal sessions open with psql running
and talking to the same db.

in window 1 : begin;
in window 1 : select column1 from table where column1
= 'text' for update;

in window 2 : update table set column1 = 'text 2'
where column1 = 'text';

then nothing...(until I commit window 1 then window 2
just does the update)
.. I expected an error or warning in window 2... sorry
column/row locked for update...

how can I trap for this. If client 1 is updating,
client 2 needs to know, not just be stuck waiting.
He/She has no idea why there is a delay.

but then again, maybe I am using this wrong.

Thanks,

Ted