Re: more compile warnings

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, rbt(at)zort(dot)ca, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: more compile warnings
Date: 2002-12-09 18:42:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > You would think that would catch it. My problem is that I am compiling
> > with -O0, because I compile all day and I don't care about optimization.
>
> You should reconsider that. At -O0 gcc doesn't do any flow analysis,
> and thus you lose many important warnings. I'd recommend -O1 at least.

Yes, I will re-add -O to my flags. When I did it I forgot it would
affect warnings. In fact, I am now seeing a similar warning in python
that I hadn't seen before, and others probably don't see it because they
don't compile python.

FYI, -O2 adds only 2 minutes to my 13 minute test script (but increases
the cpu usage from 4 to 6 minutes).

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us