Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] returning CHAR from C function

From: elein <elein(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] returning CHAR from C function
Date: 2002-12-02 01:38:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I think I do not know the background on this.
Could you explain why the char type is converted
to bpchar when a function is defined to return a char?
Are only C functions affected? Is char as a type deprecated
in favor of bpchar? Should something in the fmgr interface
change to support this?

I thought that char was always one character and
char(n) was similar to varchar(n) but with different
semantics wrt spaces. char1 works for me if char
is really usurped by bpchar.

We can take it off line except personal mail from me
to you tends to bounce. I just want to understand this.

Thanks,
elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com

elein(at)varlena(dot)com Database Consulting www.varlena.com