Re: Can't get more than 255 chars out of memo field in Acc

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't get more than 255 chars out of memo field in Acc
Date: 2002-11-27 20:08:35
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > The implication is, there is no workaround. You
> will
> > need to change the table definitions in your
> > PostgreSQL database to use varchar(n) datatypes
> > whereever you want Access to see text.
>
> I wonder whether we could/should hack our ODBC
> driver to report "text"
> columns as "varchar(n)" (and if so, what n should we
> use)? Seems like
> enough people want to use Access that this would be
> a useful option.
>
> regards, tom lane

The problem lies in the Access distinction between
"text" type, which is fully functional but limited in
size (the OP's problem), and "memo", which allows much
more storage, but is limited in functionality: "memo"
fields cannot be indexed, sorted, grouped by, joined
against etc.

The driver can presently render text as "text" or as
"memo", depending on the chosen configuration. I
don't see how it could reasonably distinguish between
two text fields so as to call one "text" and the other
"memo".

I would say that this is just one of those quirks that
an Access user/developer will need to be aware of.
Which is to be discussed in another thread ...