Re: Minor build nits in 7.3rc1

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Harris Peter <Peter(dot)Harris(at)Kyndal(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minor build nits in 7.3rc1
Date: 2002-11-26 18:15:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Harris Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1)
> configure fails too easily if your libraries and include files are in a
> funny place. When you specify --prefix=/somewhere, maybe it should use "-L
> /somewhere/lib" and "-I/somewhere/include" by default when checking if
> things exist.
> Workaround: I had to add the options to LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS myself to get
> readline noticed.

Yes, I have seen that happen too. Did you use --with-includes and
--with-libs? I have seen cases where the actual compile of the software
honors those flags, but the configure tests don't. Is that what you are
seeing? I think config.log will show you the actual tests.

> 2)
> The makefile contains many rm. I usually like to alias rm="rm -i" for
> safety, so I had to answer (y/n) a lot of times. Could the makefile please
> use rm -f?

That is a little extreme. If we use -f, then you will have rm -if, and
I don't know how that is supposed to behave. Also, if there is an issue
with the rm, I think most will want to see it rather than have -f ignore
it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us