eXtreme PostgreSQL using system catalogs (was Turning off triggers ?)

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: eXtreme PostgreSQL using system catalogs (was Turning off triggers ?)
Date: 2002-11-26 15:49:34
Lists: pgsql-general

There seems to be a TON of functionality accessable by querying and updating
the system catalogs directly... Has anyone written a practical guide to the
proper (ab)use and function of the underlying system tables similar to the
postgresql cookbook? They ARE documented, but there aren't that many cookbook
entries for nifty tweaks like disabling triggers by telling postgresql there
are none... (well, there IS a cookbook recipie for that... :) I'm not sure how
such a document would be organized, or what would constitute a "nifty" feature.
The SQL for some of the cooler "\" commands in psql can be gleaned by using the
-E command. Some other "nifties" can also be found by digging through the code.
Is this a skill reserved only for the eXtreme postgresql hackers, or can
(should!) mere mortals be given the understanding to push postgresql to its
limits?

CG