Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>, "Lee Kindness" <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-26 11:59:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On November 26, 2002 06:33 am, Al Sutton wrote:
> I wouldn't go for 7.4 in production until after it's gone gold, but being
> able to cut the number of boxes per developer by giving them a Win32 native
> version would save on everything from the overhead of getting the
> developers familiar enough with Linux to be able to admin their own
> systems, to cutting the network usage by having the DB and app on the same
> system, through to cutting the cost of electricity by only having one box
> per developer. It would also be a good way of testing 7.4 against our app
> so we can plan for an upgrade when it's released ;).

If your database is of any significant size you probably want a separate
database machine anyway. We run NetBSD everywhere and could easily put the
apps on the database machine but choose not to. We have 6 production servers
running various apps and web servers and they all talk to a central database
machine which has lots of RAM. Forget about bandwidth. Just get a 100MBit
switch and plug everything into it. Network bandwidth won't normally be your
bottleneck. Memory and CPU will be.

We actually have 4 database machines, 3 running transaction databases and 1
with an rsynced copy for reporting purposes. We use 3 networks, 1 for the
app servers to talk to the Internet, 1 for the app servers to talk to the
databases and one for the databases to talk amongst themselves.

Even for development we keep a separate database machine that developers all
use. They run whatever they want - we have people using NetBSD, Linux and
Windows - but they work on one database which is tuned for the purpose. They
can even create their own databases on that system if they want for local
testing.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves