Why an array in pg_group?

From: Reinoud van Leeuwen <reinoud(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why an array in pg_group?
Date: 2002-11-21 13:28:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Is there any reason why the grolist field in the table pg_group is
implemented as an array and not as a separate table?

According to the documentation:

<quote source="Postgresql 7.2 User Manual, chapter 6 near the end">
Arrays are not sets; using arrays in the manner described in the previous
paragraph is often a sign of database misdesign.
</quote>

I have trouble implementing a way to easily check whether a user is part
of a group. (I use Apache::AuthDBI to implement authentication and wanted
to make a view with columns username, userid , groupname. And installing
the contrib/array give's me a postgresql that is different from all the
others :-(

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud(dot)v(at)n(dot)leeuwen(dot)net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud