Re: Date trunc in UTC

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Thrasher <thrasher(at)fibers(dot)upc(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Date trunc in UTC
Date: 2002-11-20 13:06:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wednesday 20 Nov 2002 10:37 am, Thrasher wrote:
> No I cannot use SET TIME ZONE.
>
> SET TIME ZONE will be set by any client backend. But what I want to get
> is that DATE_TRUNC('month', <now in timezone +1>) = DATE_TRUNC('month',
> <now in timezone -7>).

Sorry, I've obviously misunderstood. Are you just looking to discard the
timezone so they look the same?

select date_trunc('month', CAST(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AS timestamp without time
zone));
date_trunc
2002-11-01 00:00:00

I'd have thought that would give you some problems around local/utc midnight
on the first of the month.

Or is it that you want to know what time it was in UTC zone at the start of
the month local time?

If I'm still being a bit slow (quite likely) can you explain what you're using
this for?

--
Richard Huxton