Re: Basic Trigger Question

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Aragorn <aragorn(at)gondor(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Basic Trigger Question
Date: 2002-11-15 18:41:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Aragorn wrote:

> I've used triggers before in another DB where the total functionality
> was included in the CREATE TRIGGER statement, totally written in SQL. I
> understand that postgresql can't do that (correct?).
>
> I want to delete a row in table 2 when I update table 1, with something
> along the lines of :
> CREATE TRIGGER mytrigger AFTER UPDATE ON table1
> FOR EACH ROW
> DELETE FROM table2
> WHERE table1.id = table2.id
>
> Afterwards I will re-insert any necessary info into table 2.
>

> Can anyone help me with this?

I assume that the relationship is something other than that of a foreign
key (otherwise I'd say use a foreign key with on delete cascade).

Since you asked for a trigger answer, I think you'd need a function like
(untested)
CREATE FUNCTION mytriggerfunc() returns OPAQUE AS '
begin
DELETE FROM table2 where table2.id = OLD.id;
RETURN NULL;
end;' language 'plpgsql';