Re: Problem with 7.3 on Irix with dates before 1970

From: "Robert E(dot) Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: bruc(at)acm(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with 7.3 on Irix with dates before 1970
Date: 2002-11-11 19:07:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Tom,
I have removed the NO_MKTIME_BEFORE_1970 symbol from irix5.h,
rebuilt 7.3b2, and reran the regression. The three time tests
(tinterval, horology, abstime) now match the Solaris expected files.
I checked the timezone files, and the system does not appear to
have savings time defined for 1947, but it does report it as such
in the PostgreSQL regression tests.
WRT your old message about the mktime workaround, I must have
missed your message. However, in the future, if you want something
tested on Irix, please let me know. I use PostgreSQL a fair amount at
Bristol-Myers Squibb, and I will spend some time to keep it working.

Sincerely,
Bob

> "Robert E. Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com> writes:
> > There are differences in the regression tests for PostgreSQL
> > 7.3b2 with handling of times before 1970. I recently sent out a set of
> > diffs for the changes. I've looked through the datetime.c code, but
> > it's not obvious to me what the cause of the change is. PostgreSQL 7.2
> > works fine on Irix for these cases.
>
> Waitasec ... are you using src/include/port/irix5.h as the port-specific
> config file? (Check the symlink src/include/pg_config_os.h to find
> out.) If so, try removing "#define NO_MKTIME_BEFORE_1970" from irix5.h
> and see if things get better. I asked awhile ago if that symbol was
> still needed given the mktime workaround, but no one got back to me on
> it.
>
> My current theory is that once you remove that symbol, you will get
> results matching the Solaris expected files --- ie, I suspect that your
> system believes there was DST in 1947. Do you have a way of verifying
> that theory by looking at the system timezone database?
>
> regards, tom lane

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc(at)acm(dot)org |
| P.O. Box 314 | URL: http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534 | |