Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?

From: Patrick Welche <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Will there be tar files of separated interfaces?
Date: 2002-11-11 17:20:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:43:52AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 03:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > > I'm constructing the Debian packages for 7.3 and would like to find
> > > upstream tar files of libpq++, pgperl and pgeasy, so that people
> > > building from source can get the original upstream files (which some
> > > like to do).
> > >
> > > There are currently no tar files at gborg.postgresql.org. Will there be
> > > any?
> >
> > I think you need to download the individual CVS files for each
> > interface. Some of them have not had an official release yet since
> > moving to gborg.
>
> Yes, that's what I have done.
>
> They are suffering deprivation from being expelled from the main tree.
> I have had to make changes to psqlodbc, perl5 and libpqpp, and to the
> src/interfaces/Makefile, to make them compile at all. For libpqpp, I
> had to arbitrarily define HAVE_NAMESPACE_STD and HAVE_CXX_STRING_HEADER,
> which were previously defined by configure.
>
> Is it the intention to bring these separate modules up to date before a
> final release of 7.3?

Many of the said projects need to know where libpq and the include files
are. Would it be sensible to create a config/pgsql.m4 file of autoconf
macros that they could use to find them? (Each seems to have its own ideas,
libpq++ seeming not to look at all..)

Next, where do packages tend to install libpq and the include files?
(For me, the default seems to be /usr/local/pgsql/{lib,include}, but for
example libpqxx looks in /usr/lib and /usr/include{,/postgresql} )

Cheers,

Patrick