Re: Win32 port

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Win32 port
Date: 2002-11-07 01:20:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgman wrote:
> I have copies of Peer Direct's (Jan's company) port of PostgreSQL to
> Win32, and SRA's port to Win32, and permission to generate a merged
> patch that can be applied to 7.4.
>
> Now that 7.3 is almost complete, I am going to start work on that. I
> will post patches that deal with specific portability issues, like
> fork/exec and path separator handling, and once reviewed, apply them to
> the main CVS tree for 7.4.

I have talked to Jan, and PeerDirect wants to submit a complete working
Win32 patch, rather than the piece-by-piece merged patch I was working
on. They also have a newer version than the one they shared with me.
They realize that their patch is very unlikely to be accepted in whole,
but rather merged in and reworked to fit into our code cleanly. They
also realize 7.4 will be a moving target as people make changes to CVS.

Part of my goal was to get this in quickly while CVS was relatively
stable, particularly hitting the portability issues that are spread
throughout the code, and dealing with sticky issues like rename().

I believe they are in their right to determine how the patch is released
to the community, so it seems we either have to wait for them to
complete their mega-patch, which could take one month or more, or start
working on a patch ourselves.

Let me map out the calendar. I think we are very close on the
point-in-time recovery patch. I am hoping to get that in during
November, and I _was_ hoping for the Win32 port too, so we could have
another two months of development, then start beta for 7.4. As it
stands now, we could be adding Win32 at the end of December, pushing
back 7.4.

Comments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us