Re: ipc-daemon

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ipc-daemon
Date: 2002-10-31 21:33:57
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers

Peter,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:18:31PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:35:41PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I'm getting tired of the "initdb hangs" class of complaints. Why
> > doesn't the relevant function fail if the ipc-daemon isn't running?
> > Can anything be done in that area?

The attached cygipc patch handles the above "initdb hang" and is very
similar to my previous one which handles the "postmaster hang." With
this patch applied, we now get the following:

$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "jt".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
[snip]
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: No space left on device

This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.

It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of
semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded. You need to raise the
respective kernel parameter. Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's
consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections parameter
(currently 1).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
configuring your system for PostgreSQL.

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/share/postgresql/data.

The same questions and caveats apply as in my previous post.

There is one other case that I haven't handled yet. cygipc's
msg_connect() can fail in a similar way. Once the disposition of the
initdb and postmaster hang patches is known, I will tackle this one (if
necessary).

Nevertheless, with these two patches, I believe that I have addressed
your concerns. Do you agree?

Jason

Attachment Content-Type Size
sem.c.diff text/plain 386 bytes