Re: Turning the PLANNER off

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ben McMahan <mcmahanb(at)cs(dot)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Turning the PLANNER off
Date: 2002-10-30 23:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ah, so Ben finally got around to posting here. Ben's a CS Grad student
here at Rice. His (current) project involves taking some interesting
results from constraint satisfaction and implementing them on a database:
one of the CS faculty has demonstrated that one class of highly joined
DB queries maps to a solved problem in constraint satisfaction. The end
goal would be an optimizer module or setting that recognizes this class
of query, and spits out a mathematically optimized join order.

So, in the interim, Ben's trying to do it by hand: preorder the joins
and demonstrate that the 'best' order is in fact the best. Then move on
to looking into integrating this, if possible: part of the problem is
recognizing the structure of the query, of course. Right now, the planner
is getting in the way - although he can extract the needed timing info,
he's wasting CPU cycles planning things that don't need it, limiting
the number of cases he can try.

As mentioned before, there's currently no interface to feed in a Plan,
so he's out of luck. Is there, programmatically, a way to do it?
Serialize a plan tree to a file, and feed it in latter, purely for
development purposes. How painful would that be? Should I send him in to
see if he can implement one quickly, or are there dragons hiding in there?

Ross