Re: Clusters

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clusters
Date: 2002-10-28 21:32:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:18:46PM -0800, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> Didn't Tom say that it was possible if you had different WAL logs for
> each instance? ie, just share the data directory, but everything else
> has to be on a per instance basis. Check the archives, someone just
> asked about this a week ago or so. -sc

As Sean says, check the archives. But I think the problem is bigger
than just the WAL. For instance, the pidfile is in the data
directory, so each system is going to try to overwrite that. Plus,
there's no read-only mode for Postgres, so if one of the systems
writes where it shouldn't, you'll blow everything away. I can
appreciate that some people like to play at the bare metal this way,
but it gives me ulcers ;-)

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada