Re: idle connection timeout ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: idle connection timeout ...
Date: 2002-10-25 17:31:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Basically, total connections is to be set larger than you think you will
> > ever need, while you expect per-db to be hit, and if something keeps
> > trying to connect and failing, we may get very bad connection
> > performance for other backends.
>
> Hmm, I see your point. A per-db limit *could* be useful even if it's
> set high enough that you don't expect it to be hit ... but most likely
> people would try to use it in a way that it wouldn't be very efficient
> compared to a client-side solution.

As mentioned in my response to Bruce ... in an ISP situation, a DoS attack
against the database by a single client can be very easy to accomplish in
our current situation ... all I need to do is setup a perl script that
opens all the connections I can to the database I have access to until all
are used up, and nobody else has access to *their* databases ...