Re: Big Picture

From: "Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big Picture
Date: 2002-10-22 10:08:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 22 Oct 2002 at 5:51, Erik Price wrote:
<snip>
> Is "putting as much of your application logic into SQL" the preferred
> way to develop DB-driven applications?
<snip>

What exactly do you mean with a "DB-driven" app?

About the logic, my two cents... There are different views towards this
nowadays. I guess most common is the advice to not put your business
logic in the frontend. But where? You can put it in the db itself or
put it in another layer. This is commonly known as the multi-tier
model, you should be able to Google a lot about it.

Personally I prefer the approach with as much logic as possible in the
database or at least on the server, and a client that is as thin as
possible. Maybe it's because I've worked with a db without any
constraints etc (lots of .dbf files) which forced me to write a huge
app.

I think whether you would want a (thin) client-server or a multi-tier
model would depend on the need to change your database. If your
business logic is in the db and your company would change from
postgresql to oracle (or whatever), you have a big problem. With logic
in the middle layer that problem would be a lot smaller. With this in
mind, also think about using PostgreSQL and PHP with adodb to
"translate" your db-specific commands. I haven't used adodb much, but
last time I looked, changing from one DBMS involved only a few changes
in your PHP code.