Re: v7.3 Branched ...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tswan(at)idigx(dot)com, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: v7.3 Branched ...
Date: 2002-10-22 06:56:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Perhaps one could just create a "PostgreSQL Powertools" section on
> > techdocs, naming the packages and where to get them. This would
> > eliminate the need to maintain a package that just duplicates other
> > packages...
>
> Let ye-old package managers make a shell package which simply points to
> the others as dependencies.
>
> I'd be willing to do this for FreeBSD (think Sean? would help as well)
> if someone comes up with the list.

There is a postgresql-devel port in FreeBSD now that I am maintaining
that is where DBAs and anxious developers can cut their teeth on the
new features/bugs/interactions in PostgreSQL. As soon as we get out
of beta here, I'm going to likely get in the habbit of updating the
port once a month or so with snapshots from the tree.

FWIW, at some point I'm going to SPAM the CVS tree with a
POSTGRESQL_PORT tunable that will let users decide which PostgreSQL
instance they want (stable version vs -devel). I've been really busy
recently and haven't gotten around to double checking things since I
made the changes a month ago during the freeze. Maybe this weekend
I'll get around to touching down on all of the various files.... no
promises, I'm getting ready to move. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden