Re: Question about installing PostgreSQL on a Windows machine

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Sean McInerney <sean_mackie(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about installing PostgreSQL on a Windows machine
Date: 2002-10-21 13:31:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Sean,

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:35:21PM +0000, Sean McInerney wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jason.

You are welcome.

> I figured that part out and have since installed absolutely everything
> I can with cygwin, as well as installing cygipc-1.11.1

If you really installed everything, then PostgreSQL 7.2.3 is already
installed. Hence, you do *not* need to build PostgreSQL which obviates
the following...

> and when I run
> ./configure for PostgreSQL it errors out at - checking whether the C
> compiler (gcc -02) works... no
>
> It says my c compiler cannot create executables.

Nevertheless, if you look at the end of config.log, then you will be
able to determine why configure failed. My WAG is that cygipc was not
installed correctly.

Note if you searched the archives, then you would have seen that this
question has been asked *and* answered many times before.

> I downloaded and installed the most recent version of cygwin there
> was. I'm now giving up as I've wasted too much time on this and the
> instructions are about as clear as mud.

Pejorative statements such as "clear as mud" is not a good way to ask
for assistance or say thank you.

> I sometimes want to venture back into the Unix world, then I try
> something like this.

If you are experienced with Unix, then installing Cygwin PostgreSQL
should not be too difficult. Note that my README was written from that
perspective which is my background.

> Sorry to say but Windows is just too easy.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

> I highly encourage you to make a thorough, accurate readme

It is my intention to make my README "a thorough, accurate readme." Why
not contribute by posting a patch with your proposed changes?

Do you realize that this is free software? And, that I am volunteer?

> if you want people to use your software.

PostgreSQL is *not* my software -- I'm just the Cygwin maintainer.
Anyway, I'm under the (possibly erroneous) impression that many people
use my Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution and find my README helpful.

Jason