Re: char() or varchar() for frequently used column

From: "Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: char() or varchar() for frequently used column
Date: 2002-10-17 13:21:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 17 Oct 2002 at 13:28, paul butler wrote:
> Purely for discussion:
>

> On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 22:23, Jules Alberts wrote:
> >
> > I have considered this. As a matter of fact, that is the way it is in
> > our current db but I'm not really happy with it. Theoretically
> CODE
> > should never change and is therefore safe to use as primary key.
> But
> > having an "extra" serial primary key will make the db more
> flexible
> > regarding to unforeseen complications.
>
> Could you not make NAME not unique? Then you could have a
> new code for the same name, not affecting previous records. If a
> code changes, then its a new code, or the old code with a new
> name

Both CODE and NAME are unique. And they will _never_ change. Until they
do :-). These are mostly tables which are not our own, stuff like
country codes, medical diagnosises etc. They comply to ISO standards.
Someone may decide to change them. Of course we could tackle this by
using an UPDATE CASCADE, but beside that I want a truly unique and
unchangeable column in the table. Hence the ID field, which is
redundant as long as nothing unchangeable changes, merely a safeguard.