Re: droped out precise time calculations in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Denis A Ustimenko <denis(at)oldham(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: droped out precise time calculations in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c
Date: 2002-10-14 17:14:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > That whole remains structure should be a time_t variable, and then we
> > _know_ we can't assume it is signed. The use of timeval should
> > happen only in pqWaitTimed because it has to use select().
>
> I think it's fine to use struct timeval as the parameter type for
> pqWaitTimed. This particular caller of pqWaitTimed has no need for
> sub-second wait precision, but that doesn't mean we might not want it
> for other purposes later.

That was a question: whether pqWaitTimed() was something exported by
libpq and therefore something that has an API that shouldn't change. I
see it in libpq-int.h, which I think means it isn't exported, but yes,
there could be later cases where we need subsecond stuff.

I have applied the following patch to get us a little closer to sanity.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 4.0 KB