Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset

From: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset
Date: 2002-10-11 17:12:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I'm jumping in late into this discussion but ...

In my mind a lot of these features break the model. From an application
prespective, if I want to do last, I do a count(*) and then I do a fetch
with limit; Not quite the same, but all these methods of fetching the
whole data locally and manipulating it to a large exten defeat the
purpose. Let the backend do the work, instead of trying to replicate the
functionality in JDBC.

That said I do understand that some of these are required by the JDBC 2.0
spec.

Dror

Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc