Re: Compile test with gcc 3.2

From: Ludwig Lim <lud_nowhere_man(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Compile test with gcc 3.2
Date: 2002-10-11 14:34:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Mario:
--- Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com> wrote:
> If you want to get the max (CPU) performance and use
> gcc, you should give the -fprofile-arcs /
> -fbranch-probabilties options of gcc 3.2 a try.
> For 50 pgbench read-only runs (1 mio tuples, 40000
> txs, 10 clients) I get 14.4% speedup.
>
> Then I tried it with real data from our production
> system.
> This is 2GB data, 120 tables, but most of the data
> is large object data (1.8GB), so most tables of the
> database are in-memory and the application is more
> cpu bound.
> With this scenario, I still get 8% improvement.
>
> All tests done on an Athlon XP/1500, 768MB RAM,
> Linux 2.4.19, gcc 3.2, 5400 RPM Maxtor.
>
> Might be worth a try. Probably the performance win
> will be smaller for larger databases.

- Do you use the "-fprofile-arcs
-fbranch-probabilties" options with other optimization
flags? I've in a book (Optimimizing Red Hat Linux 6.2)
that one could also optimize speed by setting the
CFLAGS to the following :
" -02 -fomit-frame-pointers -funroll-loops" and
running "strip" on the on binaries after they are
compiled.

regards,
ludwig.