Re: [SQL] [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
Date: 2002-10-04 01:58:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > Seems that isn't helping enough to reduce the number of people who are
> > surprised by our behavior. I don't think anyone would be surprised by
> > statement time.
>
> I think that there is no compelling reason for changing the current
> behavior. There is no *single* convention used by all other databases,
> and *if* the standard specifies this as "statement time" then afaict no
> database implements that exactly.

I was attempting to get closer to the standards and to other databases,
and to make it perhaps more intuitive.

> Transaction time is the only relatively deterministic time, and other
> times are (or could be) available using other function calls. So what
> problem are we trying to solve?
>
> There is no evidence that a different convention would change the number
> of folks who do not understand what convention was chosen.
>
> Arguing to change the current implementation without offering to include
> the functionality to handle all of the scenarios seems to be premature.
> And arguing that a change would be clearer to some folks is not
> compelling; "transaction start" is at least as easily understood as any
> other definition we could make.

Yes, clearly, we will need to have all three time values available to
users. With three people now suggesting we don't change, I will just
add to TODO:

Add now("transaction|statement|clock") functionality

Is that good?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us