Re: Major Problem with locale

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ben-Nes Michael <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, postgres <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major Problem with locale
Date: 2002-09-30 21:15:58
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Ben-Nes Michael <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I posted a message about regex pattern matching
> using hebrew letters.

If all else fails, and you really want to use regular
expressions, you can "import" the regular expression
capability of a Procedural Language, like:

create or replace function perl_match(text, text)
returns boolean as '
if ($_[0] =~ m/$_[1]/) {return true}
else {return false};
' language 'plperl';

jeck=# select perl_match('a','\\x61');
perl_match
(1 row

Note the need to double the backslashes.
Using hex (or octal) escapes will enable you to match
any ascii character. I don't believe that PostgreSQL
regular expressions support this (at least, I couldn't
get it to work).

Perl 5.6 also supports unicode, although I don't know
how that is implemented for regular expression matching.