Server to server communication

From: "Lane Holcombe" <lane(at)cd-solutions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Server to server communication
Date: 2002-09-30 03:21:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Is it possible to cause an instance of pgsql to communicate with another
instance on a remote server and then retreive a resultset?

mssql offers a technique (OPENQUERY) which allows a stored procedure to use
this functionality.

I imagine that postgresql would use a similar technique, or possibly a "shell"
feature to execute an operating system command which would then log into the
remote server and perform such a function.

I imagine this because I can't seem to find any reference to this feature.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks