Re: [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Aaron Held <aaron(at)MetroNY(dot)com>, Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
Date: 2002-09-24 15:19:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 08:05:59AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> This looks fine to me, as a search-and-replace on current_timestamp is
> easy. However, we need to do a better job of warning people about the
> change than we did with interval() to "interval"().
>
> Actually, can I make the proposal that *any* change that breaks
> backward compatibility be mentioned in both the new version
> announcement and on the download page? This would prevent a lot of
> grief. If I'm kept informed of these changes, I'll be happy to write
> up a user-friendly announcement/instructions on how to cope with the
> change.

I'd suggest we (for values of we that probably resolve to Bruce
or a Bruce triggered Josh ;-) start a new doc, right now, for
7.4_USER_VISIBLE_CHANGES, or some other, catchy title. In it, document,
with example SQL snippets, if need be, the change from previous behavior,
_when the patch is committed_. In fact, y'all could be hardnosed about
not accepting a user visible syntax changing patch without it touching
this file. Such a document would be invaluable for database migration.

On another note, this discussion is happening on GENERAL and SQL, but
is getting pretty technical - should someone more it to HACKERS to get
input from developers who don't hang out here?

Ross