Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum

From: John Buckman <john(at)lyris(dot)com>
To: <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum
Date: 2002-09-24 05:18:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just an FYI - this kind of thing would be a *great* feature addition to the generic PostgresSQL release. We at Lyris often hear that "postgressql is very slow, and the files are getting larger" and then "wow! it's so much faster now that we're regularly vacuuming!" after we let them know about this need (the RPM install of PostgresSQL is so easy that most people don't read any docs). Automatic maintenance of database tables is a Good Thing (tm) and would make more people we introduce to pgsql favorably disposed toward it.

-john