Re: [HACKERS] PGXLOG variable worthwhile?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <Christopher(at)treat(dot)com>, <Kings-Lynne(at)treat(dot)com>, <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, <Pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date: 2002-09-19 16:37:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Robert Treat wrote:

> I don't know if I agree with that. Most servers (apache for instance) have
> configuration variables on where files are going to live, not command line
> options.

Not where it involves *critical* files:

OPTIONS
-R libexecdir
This option is only available if Apache was
built with the SHARED_CORE rule enabled which
forces the Apache core code to be placed into
a dynamic shared object (DSO) file. This file
is searched in a hardcoded path under Server-
Root per default. Use this option if you want
to override it.

> Well, as with most (all?) GUC variables, wouldn't you have the option of
> doing postmaster -o "pgxlog=/dev/null" and have the same functionality
> as -X ?

True, but then that negates the whole argument about not having a command
line option, no? Which I believe was the whole argument on this ... no?

> Shouldn't this work the other way around? Use what's in the conf file
> unless I explicitly state otherwise? IIRC that's how it works with -i

God, I wish I had thought to note it at the time ... one of the things I
did when I dove into this was to check how various Unix daemons were doing
it, now I can't recall which I was looking at that mentioned the config
file overriding the command line options, but you are correct, the command
line should override the conf file ...