Re:

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk, olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2002-09-13 04:59:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

En Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:46:00 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> escribió:

> > Sure it is. The float=>int casts need to be made implicit, or we'll have
> > tons of problems like this.
>
> Well, yeah. That did not seem to bother anyone last spring, when we
> were discussing tightening the implicit-casting rules. Shall we
> abandon all that work and go back to "any available cast can be applied
> implicitly"?

Implicit float to int loses precision, so it shouldn't be implicit,
should it?

Maybe the solution is to make 7.3 pg_dump smart enough to add explicit
casts where default values demand them... Is this possible? Are there
other cases where tightening implicit casts is going to bit users?

El sentido de las cosas no viene de las cosas, sino de
las inteligencias que las aplican a sus problemas diarios
en busca del progreso. (Ernesto Hernández-Novich)