Latitude / Longitude

From: Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Latitude / Longitude
Date: 2002-09-12 17:44:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Hi Folks -

I'm working on a global weather database for a client and have hit an issue
which I'm sure has been solved before. Unfortunately, the site search doesn't
pull up anything.

Essentially, I've got two tables, one with city/county/lat/long and another
with lat/long/weather data.

None of the lat/longs in the two tables match up directly, so I can't do a
simple join of the two tables. I need to join on closest proximity on the
lat/long fields.

Any suggestions? It seems to me this will be pretty expensive on CPU resources
unless there's a really elegant trick uncovered.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com / SourceForge
GPG Public Key: http://www.perdue.net/personal/pgp.php