pg_dumpall between Linux and FreeBSD.

From: Francisco J Reyes <francisco(at)natserv(dot)net>
To: pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dumpall between Linux and FreeBSD.
Date: 2002-09-11 19:37:57
Lists: pgsql-general

I have 1 FreeBSD machine and 1 Linux, Red Hat, machine.
I will need to periodically do a pg_dumpall from the Linux machine to the
FreeBSD machine.

This has been a problem because on Linux the superuser ID is postgres and
on FreeBSD it is pgsl.

When I try to restore to the FreeBSD machine it crashes because it can not
connect to the postgres user ID. I replaced all occurrences of postgres
with pgsql to get the load to work, but it was very time consuming (2.9 GB
file).

Any suggestions on how to easily move data between these two systems?
I have only a handfull databases so doing individual pg_dumps may work,
but my fear is that if someone in my team makes a new DB (ie for new
development) that they may not tell me and I may not find out about it
until the machine has crashed and they come asking for a restore. :-)