Re: pl/pgsql and returns timestamp type

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Terry Yapt <yapt(at)technovell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql and returns timestamp type
Date: 2002-09-10 18:12:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

Terry,

> > --Problem #1: A TIMESTAMP minus another TIMESTAMP returns an
> > --INTERVAL, not a TIMESTAMP. See my paper on timestamps and
> > --intervals on http://techdocs.postgresql.org/
>
> Sorry. I had no luck looking for your document... :-(

The document in your 2nd e-mail is the correct one.

> Hummm... ok. I have read this in somewhere. But I have too much
information about pgsql to digest (for the moment).
> But then... How could I obtain "variable global values" (like the timestamp
for example) in different function locations whit its "at time" values ???

Not that I know of. I'd suggest, instead, that you call the second now()
statement after the function completes.

> > --Problem #3: A commmit statement is entirely superflous within a
> > --function, which is transactional regardless, and will cause an error.
>
> But...then..
> Do you mean all or nothing of the function statements will be executed
regardless how many tables and/or sentences will be involved ????

That is correct. If you need conditional commiting or exception-handling,
use an external middleware language such as Java, Perl, or Python.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions