Re: Installation location of DLLs

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation location of DLLs
Date: 2002-09-06 23:02:38
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Peter,

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:59:09PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I see that Cygwin installs all the DLLs into /usr/bin, maybe we should
> do that too? (not /usr/bin, but ${bindir})

Deja vu?...

I actually recommended this (via a patch) in the past, but it was vetoed
by you. :,) I have been post-processing "make install" ever since. I
would be very happy if you would reconsider this position.

The following are how my Cygwin PostgreSQL tarballs package DLLs:

usr/bin/ecpg.dll
usr/bin/pgeasy.dll
usr/bin/pq++.dll
usr/bin/pq.dll
usr/lib/postgresql/plperl.dll
usr/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.dll
usr/lib/postgresql/plpython.dll
usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/cygwin-multi/auto/Pg/Pg.dll
usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_pgmodule.dll

Specifically, I recommend installing DLLs in ${bindir} that are linked
against via their import libraries -- for example, pq.dll. In this way,
users do not need to add nonstandard components to their PATH. On the
other hand, DLLs that are dlopen()'d should still be installed under
${libdir} -- for example, plpgsql.dll.

FYI, the above recommendation is exactly how "make install" works for
Cygwin Python.

Thanks,
Jason