Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD
Date: 2002-09-04 15:54:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

Wojciech Scigala (pg(at)wojtus(dot)net) reports a bug with a severity of 4

Short Description
suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD

Long Description
This is not a bug-report in fact, but a suggestion of a feature.
(I couldn't find an separate email for suggestions and ideas).
As you know, many people have trouble keeping both secure (passworded) access to PG databased while allowing some unattended access for them, for example for backing up.
Enviroment variable $PGPASSWORD is very useful here, but sensitive data should not be passed via enviroment. The better way to do it is to provide a name of file which contains the password. The file's access rights (if set properly) will provide necessary security in an easy way. And that's what I'm suggesting - an introdution of new variable, say $PGPASSWORD_FILE which will point to a file with password.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report