Re: Open 7.3 items

From: One Way <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-29 02:00:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane: "And with the availability of schemas in 7.3, I think that
multiple databases per installation is going to become less common to
begin with --- people will more often use multiple schemas in one big
database if they want the option of data sharing, or completely
separate installations if they want airtight separation."

This is not a good assumption, in my opinion. Normally, one app is
associated with one database. This way, if something happens to the db,
only one application is unavailable, others will not be affected, more
or less. Besides, some databases are huge, so recovery time may take a
long time. If everything is in one db, the whole organization will be
brought to a halt, all apps will be down for a while. From my
experience, this will not be considered acceptable in any reasonable
organization.

This is the place where cross-db queries become critically important.
You do not want to duplicate data in several databases and, at the same
time, you do not want to have one huge unmanageable db that can
potentially bring down all your apps.

my $0.02