Re: Command-line client sometimes misinterprets tabs for nulls

From: Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe(at)secureworks(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command-line client sometimes misinterprets tabs for nulls
Date: 2002-08-28 05:01:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 01:48 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Turn off readline (psql -n). For someone accustomed to tab completion,
> the above is about as sensible as demanding we disable backspace.

Right, my original build of postgres did not have tab completion support as I
did not have readline (a notice at the end of the configure script would have
been nice, maybe a summary of what will and won't be supported?). However, I
love the command-line history, so readline was a must ;).

> It would be nice if we could distinguish pasted tabs from manually-typed
> tabs, but I'm not aware of any way that psql could tell the difference.

Can tab completion be disabled without disabling command line history? I
noticed -n disables both. I would gladly trade tab completion for tab
pastability, but I rely heavily on command line history.

Thanks,

--
Casey Allen Shobe / Network Security Analyst & PHP Developer
SecureWorks, Inc. / 404.327.6339 x169 / Fax: 404.728.0144