Problem installing postgresql with cygwin

From: "atanu roy" <atanu_ray(at)rediffmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem installing postgresql with cygwin
Date: 2002-08-27 06:07:01
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,

I am trying to install postgresql on Windows2000. I have
installed
cygwin, cygipc. I have installed ipc-daemon as a service and
started it.

I downloaded the postgresql-7.2.1 distribution under cygwin
distribution's
/usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1/

As the first step to install postgresql when I run the ./config
script
I get the following error:

$ ./configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character support... no
checking whether NLS is wanted... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler...
no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
using CFLAGS=-O2
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
compiler cannot create executables.

I am completely at a loss as I have to meet some deadline.

Regards
Atanu Roy