Re: functions

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andrei Popovici <andreipopovici(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: functions
Date: 2002-08-26 20:33:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Andrei,

> I really do not understand the philosophy involved.
> Usually the client needs very often this kind of sets.
> So, the only way for a client to get them is to issue
> hand-made query strings
> (e.g. pg_query(cnn, 'SELECT * FROM ...'), in PHP)?
> Where are the advantages of pre-compiled code,
> execution plans, etc? Probably it will take me some
> time to accommodate.

Nothing to understand. The Postgres team just didn't have the code for
rowset-returning functions until recently. We always wanted them.

> And by the way, MSSQL has also functions. I think they
> satisfy your requirements :)

Yeah. I haven't really used MSSQL since 7.0; I've heard that 2000 has custom
functions, but I haven't tested them.

--
-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533