Re: Mysql -> PgSQL

From: Tommi Maekitalo <t(dot)maekitalo(at)epgmbh(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mysql -> PgSQL
Date: 2002-08-23 08:25:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Am Freitag, 23. August 2002 09:41 schrieb Jeff Davis:
> Another question that comes to mind is: are there any plans to allow
> user-defined types to accept argument lists? If that were the case, this
> wouldn't be much of an issue, because anyone could just make a set type. As
> it is, I think it needs to be added as a special case.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff

That brings me to an idea. You can write a function, which converts a list of
strings to a bitmask and stores this value. Then it should be possible to
write something like

insert into table(..., my_set) values (..., set('val1', 'val2', 'val3'))

as the original poster inteded to do. You need then a set of functions, for
queriing the values.

I'm not so familiar with udfs in postgresql. Is it possible to write udfs with
a variable number of arguments? Or is it possible to give a array-parameter
to a udf.

Mysqls set-type is still much more comfortable. Udfs is not a feature the
average Mysql-user wants to use.

Tommi