Re: Point in time recovery 20020822_01_pitr.patch

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "J(dot) R(dot) Nield" <jrnield(at)usol(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patch List <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Point in time recovery 20020822_01_pitr.patch
Date: 2002-08-23 04:35:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

J. R. Nield wrote:
> Here's a patch to do point-in-time recovery against 7.3 head. Still to
> be resolved in this patch:
>
> * CREATE/DROP database are still unlogged. dbcommands.c needs a
> re-write to make that possible, since all the file and directory
> operations will need to be logged, as will the data.
>
> * Is it really safe to do block-aligned reads to copy the database
> files once (if) we remove backup blocks from the log? Should support be
> added to go through the buffer manager?
>

> New Files:
> ./doc/FAQ_PITR
> ./src/backend/commands/recoverycmds.c
> ./src/include/commands/recoverycmds.h

Here is quick overview of the patch. First, it starts with
documentation about how the user interacts with the PITR system. Then
it goes into a large chunk of code that logs and recovers from a variety
of database changes that we don't currently log because they aren't
needed for crash recovery but are required for PITR recovery. Next is a
section that does the actual file backups for PITR, and finally, there
is grammar code to support the new PITR commands.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us