Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Chris Ryan <xgbe(at)yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues)
Date: 2002-08-17 13:55:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > > integrate or remove new libpqxx
> > > integrate or add to gborg Pg:DBD
> > >
> > > Seems like gborg is the place for these.
> >
> > I would volunteer to package libpq++ separately.
>
> Okay, the procedure is simple, but where do we want to put this? Do we
> want to move the extracted libraries over to gborg (would be my first
> preference), or keep them in the core repository?
>
> Regardless of which, the extraction is simple ... but if GBorg, if you go
> over and make a project and let me know what it is, I can move the library
> from our CVS repository straight over there, so that we lose no logs or
> anything ... just let me know its created ...
>
> Bruce, can you make a project for Pg::DBD?

OK, I am ready to do the work, but I would like to get a plan of where
we are going. I see in interfaces:

cli
ecpg
jdbc
libpgeasy
libpgtcl
libpq
libpq++
libpqxx
odbc
perl5
python

and we have Pg:DBD waiting to be added.

Now, I know one of Marc's goals is to have libpq as a stand-alone
tarball, but I thought we decided that this _didn't_ require it to be in
a separate CVS repository.

If we split these up based on activity, we have, in decreasing activity
order:

jdbc
odbc
libpq
libpqxx
cli
ecpg
libpq++
libpgtcl
python
libpgeasy
Pg:DBD
perl5

We already have separate web sites for jdbc and odbc, and they are in
our main CVS.

What goals do we have? Do we create gborg accounts for all/most of
these so releases can be made independently of the main server? Do we
move their CVS out of the main tree too?

I don't think we should judge libpqxx differently than the other
interfaces just because it is new. We should find a consistent solution
and apply that to all of these interfaces.

Let me add that odbc and jdbc have successfully made releases
independent of our server for over a year now.

I wonder if the best solution is to create gborg accounts for every
interface and keep them in our main CVS, and do independent releases
from there. Should we point to jdbc/odbc.postgresql.org from gborg?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us