Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-16 15:45:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have seen some negative reactions to the feature. I am willing to ask
> > for a vote, if that is what people want. If not, I will apply the patch
> > in the next day or two.
>
> So are you calling for a vote or just willing to ask for one? I vote for
> putting it in contrib and letting whoever wants it apply it and use it.
> The more we discuss it the worse it looks.

I can do a vote. However, seeing many positive comments about the
patch, and 1-2 negative ones (with no suggestion on how to improve it),
I don't think the negative votes will win.

I usually do a vote when the email comments are coming in kind of close.

Specifically, in the thread, I have Vince and Peter as negative, and >7
positive, I think.

Look at the contraints I am under to implement what is effectively
username schemas:

small patch, no bloat, because it isn't a core feature
multiple global users
no namespace collisions between global/non-global users
zero performance impact
32-byte user string coming from the client

Specifically, what is ugly about it? Is it that global users have an @
at the end of their names? How do we prevent namespace collisions
_without_ doing this? I am all ears.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us