Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-16 01:12:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't see what the problem is of dumping out the entire content of
> > pg_shadow into a flat file. First you look for a non-@ user, then you
> > look for an @ user that matches the database.
>
> While I'd prefer that approach myself, the way Bruce is proposing does
> have a definite advantage: there is no problem with confusion between
> global users and database-local users of the same username. "foo@" is
> global, "foo" is not.
>
> My own feeling is that the confusion argument is a weak one, and that
> not having to use "@" to log in as a global user would be worth having
> to avoid duplicating global and local names. But I'm not sufficiently
> excited about it to volunteer to do the work ;-)

If we don't suffix global users with '@', a global user named 'dave'
could not attach to a database called 'db1' as himself if a user called
'dave(at)db1' existed. If you have a super-user, who you want to be able to
connect to any database, the creation of that name in any database would
block the superuser from connecting as themselves. That is the
confusion I want to avoid.

I have seen some negative reactions to the feature. I am willing to ask
for a vote, if that is what people want. If not, I will apply the patch
in the next day or two.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us