Re: Open 7.3 issues

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 issues
Date: 2002-08-15 14:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 15 August 2002 12:28 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think that's likely to be a hard sell. The most we are likely to get
> is to ask people to use the 7.3 pg_dump to dump their 7.2 server when
> they are about to upgrade to 7.3 --- even that much is a difficult trick
> for RPM users.

It's more of a difficult trick for the RPM maintainer.... :-)

No, I've thought about this possibility, and I can see packaging a
'postgresql-pg_dump73-7.2.1' RPM consisting entirely of the 7.3 pg_dump
linked against the pieces of 7.2.1 necessary. Ugly, but doable.

I know I sound like a broken record (for those who remember vinyl records),
but good upgrading tools would eliminate this recurring problem. That's all
I'm saying about that this time -- I've said enough, and it's all archived
for those who care to know what I think about the state of upgrading.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio