Re: PGACCESS Error Relative Path @ export table

From: "John L(dot) Turner" <jlt(at)wvinter(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGACCESS Error Relative Path @ export table
Date: 2002-07-31 12:55:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Andreas Kretzer, wanted me to know...
> On 30.07.2002 at 17:45 John L. Turner wrote:
> >Hi:
> >
> >Newbe trying to learn pgaccess' import / export of tables
> >
> >ERROR
> >"Relative Path not allowed for servers side copy command"
> >
> >Version downloaded today (Tuesday 30 July 02) was 0.98.8
> >( even though the/pgaccess/lib/mainlib.tcl says 0.98.7 )
> >
> >I opened a test database, created with the command
> >psql mytestdb < /pgaccess/demo/formdemo.sql
> >
> >Open Data base with no local host given,
> >AND with my local host IP #
> >
> >I did start postmaster with -i
> >
> >Then From Main pgaccess Menu: Database | Export Table
> >Tried to export the table phonebook, received above ERROR
> >
> >I entered the path /home/jlt/phonebook.txt
> >ERROR received.
>
> Are you sure that the error was the same? It might have been
> 'access denied'. Try /tmp/phonebook.txt
>
> >Also tested ~/phonebook.txt
> >Also tested 192.168.110.42:~/phonebook.txt
>
> Hmm... It should have been possible (except it is explicitly
> catched by pgaccess. But of course the home directory
> would have been that of the postgres backend processes'
> user.
>
> Hope this helps
> Andreas
_________________
Seem to have found the answer ( at least ONE answer that worked)

Turns out that the only directory that I have permission to write to is:
/var/lib/pgsql/

I started the postmaster -1 as user postgres

SO that leads to the bottom line Question:
How does a user in postgresql obtain permissions to other directories ?

Thanks to anyone for a kick in pants to find the answer.

P.S. Why didn't the original message just say permissions not set for X user ?

Regards to all that answered before,

John Turner

"Just because you do not know the answer
does not mean that someone else does"
Stephen J. Gould, {rip}