Re: Multi-byte character bug

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: richso(at)i-cable(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multi-byte character bug
Date: 2002-07-31 05:18:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> By Chinese here, I mean BIG5 encoding character which is a widely used
> encoding in HK and Taiwan.

Ok. PostgreSQL does support BIG5 in the *frontend* side.

> I've done a new check on it, I found JDBC and ODBC driver still report
> the error message but psql do not (may be as you said, I've done a wrong
> procedure). However, the problem still there: why JDBC and ODBC still
> report the error ?

psql works but JDBC and ODBC does not? The fact that psql is working
tell us that at least BIG5<-->EUC_TW works fine. It seems something
wrong with JDBC and ODBC settings. Unfortunately I'm not a Java or
ODBC expert at all. Sorry...

> The character code is 0xc05c, in which the second byte is actually a "\"
> (back-slash)
> (pls see the attached file: offence2.zip)

There's no character code in EUC_TW (CNS 11643-1992) corresponding to
Big5 0xc05c. That's why PostgreSQL complains.
--
Tatsuo Ishii